We all know what it's like to try and change a squirmy baby! It's like changing an octopus and you just DO NOT have enough hands. The Battle of the Diaper Change is one that many of us mamas go through, so we wanted to share some tips for those particularly strong willed, and stubborn little ones who simply refuse to lay still when getting their bum changed!
1) A special toy!– Dedicate one toy that baby particularly loves to be broght out and held at diaper changing time. The novelty of this toy may just be enough to distract baby for the couple of minutes you'll need!
2) Sing a song– Take babys favourite song and change the lyrics to make diaper changing fun!
Here's an example. (Sung to the tune of "farmer in the dell")
(Baby's name) has a dirty diaper,
He/She has a dirty diaper,
Hi Ho, the derry Oh,
(Baby's Name) has a dirty diaper
*The repeat the song with "a clean diaper"
3) Turn diaper time into "tickle time". Baby will feel comfortable if you stay relaxed and make a game of it. Tickle them by blowing "raspberries" on their little tummy! Plus lots of laughs and giggles from mom or dad is sure to distract them for just long enough!
4) Talk to your baby. Talk through all the steps of the diaper change, so baby is aware of what is going on. Even if baby is little, your voice shoud do the trick in keeping a calm environment.
5) Switch it up!– Try changing your baby in a different place (or several different places) to break the connection of the changing table being a battle ground.
6) Use slip on diapers- There are several different types of slip on diapers including one from Huggies! These make standing up diaper changes super easy. You can even purchase with free shipping from www.walmart.ca and they will come right to your front door!
When all else fails, just know that you aren't alone and this too shall pass! They won't be in diapers forever….. right?
Join us for more exciting topics at our Baby Basics events every Thursday in London, ON! Sign up at www.london.momstown.ca
A big thanks to Walmart Canada for sponsoring the Every Little Step, Baby Basics Program!